Sharing research into significant authors using forums
Aim: To engage children interactively through Fronter by responding to shared documents
Prior Learning: We have been using Fronter for a few years and I wanted the children to become more engaged with the Learning Platform through reading each others ideas rather than just a page of links to other websites.
Steps in Learning:
1) I created a page in my y5 Literacy Room called Significant Authors and under each author inserted links to a forum where the children could read, comment on and add their own research about an author.
2) This took one lesson, and children were encouraged to add to other comments rather than repeat facts already given; this promoted reading of other children's work. In the plenary, we looked at our shared research back in the classroom.
3) In the next lesson, in groups, using this shared research, the children recorded a presentation about a particlular author and these were uploaded onto the Literacy page for all children to listen to and share with ther parents.
Advantages in Using Fronter
1) They can instantly see each others work
2) Work they have done at school can be shared at home
3) Promote collaborative, speaking and listening work
About the author
What inspires you?
Children's enthusiasm shown for certain topics, When a child suddenly understands something which they had been struggling with (including adults too!)
St. Michael's CE Primary School